ARE YOUR CHARACTERS STIFF?




Because dialogue is hugely important to your story, it is in the interest of the author to limit pointless gibber among characters.  While a character’s unique, voice plays a major part in storytelling, if these elements are missing; it causes them to fall flat.

What also inhibits a character’s capabilities is the lack of movement.  Just like real people, they make hand gestures and facial expressions. They shift their weight, stomp and even flee the scene. However, creating this flow of believable dialogue, with characters moving about with ease, takes time.

Example 1:

“I can’t go to the party,” Sherry said.

“Why not? You promised me weeks ago you’d be my date?”

“I know, but something has come up.”

“What?”

“I can’t say.”

“You mean something or someone?”

“No.”

“What then?”

“I’ll tell .you, Ken, you smother me! I can’t breathe. You call me all times of the day – everyday.”

 

Example 2:

“I can’t go to the party,” Sherry said, shifting her gaze to the floor.

“Why not? You promised me weeks ago you’d be my date?”

“I know, but something has come up.”

Ken’s eyebrows drew in. “What?”

“I can’t say.” Sherry closed her locker and turned to walk away, but not before his demanding grip held her firm.

“You mean something or someone?”

“No.”

“What then?”

“I’ll tell you,” Sherry said, holding out her hand and counting her fingers with the other. “You smother me! I can’t breathe. You call me all times of the day – and night.”

How do your characters move about?

 

 

Comments

Courtney Madden said…
Excellent example - and so true! Those mannerisms you see in your mind when you're writing dialogue are so important to shaping your character.

Popular Posts